We decided not to take out our existing flooring in the bus and to simply apply our flooring over this. We covered the whole floor in the same recticle insulation we used on the walls.
We could see that our flooring was not level so we tried to add additional silver insulation foam in the middle to compensate this, however we did not add enough and once completed the flooring was still not level, this caused huge complications further down the line. Ensuring you have a level floor is paramount, otherwise you add weeks to your build trying to measure angles with no right angles to work away from!
We brought our floor from Wickes on special offer, we had to buy 7 packs which cover 2.5metre each and we managed to get it all for around £80, we were quite happy with the quality as we thought we would have to spend a lot more on it. However in hindsight the flooring was a bit 70s looking!
We used paper on the corners and curved edges of the floor to make templates for cutting the flooring. If you push the paper into any rounded edges and then draw along the shape and cut them out, you can then use them as a template. We used the jig saw to cut out the floor boards which worked quite easily. With laminate flooring you need to work from one side of the bus to the other, as the floor boards slot into each other long ways. You want to leave a 10mm gap around the edges where the flooring meets the wall in case the wood expands.
We did not need to use any additional glue on the bottom of the laminate as they were very solid once all slotted together. However where was a step up to the driving area, we noticed the floor was a bit bouncy. David added some screws to secure this into place and managed to drill straight through to the Petrol tank underneath. This meant the petrol tank was leaking and cost us hundreds of pounds to fix, so be careful!
It took 4 days straight to build the floor up over the step into the cab area, each piece meeting at the top of the step had to be cut with a 45 degree angle so they sat flush, we also had to template more or less every piece around the chairs and bends of the cab, which was very frustrating and time consuming. We did also stick this down with Sikaflex.
We finished the edges by the doors with a 1inch by 1.5 inch pine, and got a cut to fit door mat to sit on the step underneath.
Essential Equipment for this stage: Laminate Flooring, pen, paper, circular saw with 45 degree angle cutter, Insulation for under the foam, screws, jigsaw